The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship
The L@S GANAS Research Fellowship Heading link
The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship engages students in research-intensive experiences in Life Sciences, Chemistry, and beyond. As a student participant, a L@s GANAS fellow, you will gain sustained and meaningful exposure to research environments, you will learn about research as a career and be provided with a visible path towards it. You will also be embraced by the UIC research community and introduced to national research communities in your field.
Applications for Spring 2022 are now open
Deadline is December 1, 2021!
Preview the application
Benefits for L@S GANAS Research Fellows Heading link
- Work closely with experienced researchers while earning credit and gaining hands-on experience
- Be eligible to receive financial assistance – $2,500 each semester up to three
- Receive funding to present original research at national and local conferences
- Have the opportunity to connect with the larger research community
- Be welcomed to participate in all L@S GANAS programming
- Participate in a science leadership workshop in the semester prior to engaging in research projects
- Students will be enrolled in Bios 294: Special Topics. This workshop time will be held on Tuesdays from 3:30 – 5:10 pm for spring 2022. This is a seminar course and will require some outside readings, but most work will occur in discussion. This is a strict requirement for participation in the fellowship. In addition, attendance at four additional cultural dialogues required for participation and maintaining your stipend.
Lexie Heading link
Here is what you need to participate: Heading link
- be currently enrolled as full-time undergraduate student at UIC as of Spring 2022.
- self identify as Latinx or be Pell-eligible
- commit to three semesters in our research program (Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Spring 2023)
- Major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Integrated Health Studies, or Neuroscience
- maintain good academic standing (2.5 minimum overall GPA at time of application)
The curriculum centers the Latinx in science experience, but any student who is Pell eligible can apply. The curriculum also centers our core majors and thus we will prioritize those applicants. Students outside of those majors may not receive as much benefit, but are still welcome to apply. They should address why they should be considered in their application.
* Students must be FAFSA-eligible to receive financial assistance. Participation in the research experience is NOT contingent on FAFSA status or financial need.
Why Latinx? Latinx is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.