The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship
The L@S GANAS Research Fellowship
The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship is a 2-year program that engages students in research-intensive experiences in Life Sciences, Chemistry, and beyond. As a student participant, a L@s GANAS fellow, you will gain sustained and meaningful exposure to research environments, you will learn about research as a career and be provided with a visible path towards it. You will also be embraced by the UIC research community and introduced to national research communities in your field.
FALL 2021: We do not anticipate having a cohort for Fall 2021. If this changes, we will post that information here and in our newsletter.
Benefits for L@S GANAS Research Fellows
- Work closely with experienced researchers while earning credit and gaining hands-on experience
- Be eligible to receive financial assistance – up to $5000*
- Receive funding to present original research at national and local conferences
- Have the opportunity to connect with the larger research community
- Be welcomed to participate in all L@S GANAS programming
- Participate in a science leadership workshop in the fall prior to engaging in research projects
- Students will be enrolled in Bios 294: Special Topics. This workshop time will be held on Tuesdays from 3:00 – 4:40 pm for fall 2020. This is a seminar course and will require some outside readings, but most work will occur in discussion. This is a strict requirement for participation in the fellowship. Starting spring 2021 there will be regular professional development workshops and cultural dialogues required for participation.
Here is what you need to participate:
- be currently enrolled as full-time undergraduate student starting your second academic year in the Fall 2020 semester at UIC or a new transfer student beginning in Fall 2020
- self identify as Latinx
- commit to enroll for 2 full academic years (four semesters) in our research program
- intend to major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Neuroscience
- maintain good academic standing
The curriculum centers the Latinx in science experience, but any student who is Pell eligible can apply. The curriculum also centers our 4 core majors and thus we will prioritize those applicants. Students outside of those majors may not receive as much benefit, but are still welcome to apply. They should address why they should be considered in their application.
* Students must be FAFSA-eligible to receive financial assistance. Participation in the research experience is NOT contingent on FAFSA status or financial need.
Why Latinx? Latinx is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.