The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship
The L@S GANAS Research Fellowship Heading link
The L@s GANAS Research Fellowship engages students in research-intensive experiences in Life Sciences, Chemistry, and beyond. As a student participant, a L@s GANAS fellow, you will gain sustained and meaningful exposure to research environments, you will learn about research as a career and be provided with a visible path towards it. You will also be embraced by the UIC research community and introduced to national research communities in your field.
Application for Spring 2023 is now available!
Thursday, December 1 at 3pm RSVP: Research Fellow Information Session #3
Monday, December 5 at 1pm RSVP: Research Fellow Information Session #4
Tuesday, December 6 at 12pm RSVP: Research Fellow Information Session #5
Thursday, December 8 at 11am RSVP: Research Fellow Information Session #6
Friday, December 89 at 12pm RSVP: Research Fellow Information Session #7
Email Liz Ramirez at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to set up a 1:1 meeting.
Benefits for L@S GANAS Research Fellows Heading link
- Work closely with experienced researchers while earning credit and gaining hands-on experience
- Be eligible to receive financial assistance – $2,500 each semester up to three*
- Receive funding to present original research at national and local conferences
- Have the opportunity to connect with the larger research community
- Be welcomed to participate in all L@S GANAS programming
- Participate in a science leadership workshop in the semester prior to engaging in research projects
- Students will be enrolled in Bios 294: Special Topics. This workshop time will be held on Tuesdays from 3:30 – 5:10 pm for spring 2023. This is a seminar course and will require some outside readings, but most work will occur in discussion. This is a strict requirement for participation in the fellowship. In addition, attendance at four additional cultural dialogues required for participation and maintaining your stipend.
*Priority to FWS Eligibile Students and to students in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Integrated Health Studies or Neuroscience.
Please share how the Research Fellow Process has helped you:“The research fellowship allowed me to gain hands-on experience in the field. It also gave me the necessary skills needed to apply to jobs in the real world.”What is your favorite part about being a Research Fellow?“Connecting with professors.”
Please share how BIOS 294 was beneficial and how it helped you:“The BIOS 294 class helped me through the process of research. I had never participated in research before being part of the fellowship program so the class helped me to understand what a good research lab entails, what possible professors we could encounter, how to read complex research papers, and what you can do when you graduate.”Please share how the Research Fellow Process has helped you:“I really enjoyed the research fellow experience. The process really helped me to advance my professional skills. If I had not received the fellowship, I do not know if I would have had as much research experience as I do now. Before college, I did not know that I could do research with a professor. Las Ganas guided me through the process of finding a research mentor and were always making sure that everyone had a lab. I was able to understand what I wanted to do with my career a lot better after participating in research. Before research I wanted to be a PA, I now know that I want to go into industry or participate in some sort of research experience. I think that the money aspect of the fellowship is also really helpful because it is hard to balance school, work, life, and research.”
Please share how BIOS 294 was beneficial and how it helped you:“Bios 294 helped me prepare for starting research. I was able to know what to expect and what would be expected from me when doing research, prior to starting research”Please share how the Research Fellow Process has helped you:“he research fellow process helped me find a lab that I was interested in and I learned how to send out emails to the researchers in charger of the project I want to be a part of. “Why would you recommend for other students to apply to the research fellowship?“I would recommend other students to apply to the L@s Ganas research fellowship because it provides a great opportunity for undergraduate students who want to gain experience in the scientific field. Regardless of your career path, having a scientific research experience is very beneficial and can be a stepping stone to your long-term goals.”
Lexie Heading link
Here is what you need to participate: Heading link
- be currently enrolled as full-time undergraduate student at UIC as of Spring 2023.
- self-identify as Latinx or be Pell-eligible
- commit to four semesters in our research program (Fall 2023-Spring 2025)
- Major in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Integrated Health Studies, or Neuroscience
- maintain good academic standing (2.5 minimum overall GPA at time of application)
The curriculum centers the Latinx in science experience, but any student who is Pell eligible can apply. The curriculum also centers our core majors and thus we will prioritize those applicants. Students outside of those majors may not receive as much benefit, but are still welcome to apply. They should address why they should be considered in their application.
* Students must be FAFSA-eligible to receive financial assistance. Participation in the research experience is NOT contingent on FAFSA status or financial need.
Why Latinx? Latinx is a gender-inclusive way of referring to people of Latin American descent. This includes people who identify as Latin@, Latino, Latina, Hispanic, Latin American, Hispanic American, Chicano, Chicana, etc.